Mental Health Awareness Week 10th-16th May
This year, the theme of Mental Health Awareness Week is nature. This is due to the significant impact that nature had on a vast amount of people during the pandemic. Over the past year, people have been spending more time in greener spaces than usual. Studies have shown that going for walks outside was one of our top coping strategies in the pandemic and 45% of us reported being in green spaces has been vital for our mental health*. The Mental Health Foundation is hosting Mental Health Awareness Week and they want to say thank you to nature for all the benefits its given us.
Benefits of nature:
- Improves your mood
- Reduces feelings of stress or anger
- Helps you feel more relaxed and calmer
- Reduces feelings of social isolation
- Improves your physical health
- Improves your confidence and self-esteem
- Helps you be more active
Similarly, with less people commuting and leisurely driving, there has been less fumes in the air, which has benefitted the environment and our lungs enormously.
A study in the US even found that patients who were treated in hospitals with a view of nature recovered faster.*
The Mental Health Foundation is encouraging people to:
- Take time to experience nature during the week. Take a moment to notice and explore nature to see what you notice and the impact it has
- Share nature with others via photos/meeting up with people and share the connections you’ve made during the week
- Talk about nature to help encourage people to find new ways to connect with nature and spread the benefits
For more information on how you can get involved please visit:
If you have suffered as a result of the pandemic and feel you would like further support, The Eaves has a variety of trained Counsellors, Psychologists and Psychotherapists in Guildford, Godalming and Farnham, some of whom offer ‘Walk and Talk’ sessions. Our professionals see individuals of all ages, families, couples and young people 12 hours a day, Monday to Saturday between 9am and 9pm. Please call 01483 917000. You can also send us an enquiry via our website. Click here to find out more.